Little League recommends adding at least two positions to the local league board when starting or operating a softball program: a Softball Vice President and a Softball Player Agent. A league may always add additional softball board positions where it deems necessary.
Softball Vice President
Appointing a Softball Vice President to oversee local league operations is an important task for any league coordinating a softball program. One of the primary goals of this position is to promote the program within the local community. The Softball Vice President acts as a liaison between the league board and those involved in the softball program.
Responsibilities of the Softball Vice President include:
- Coordinate softball player, umpire, and volunteer recruitment and retention efforts in conjunction with the Marketing Manager.
- Organize and oversee education and training for managers, coaches, and umpires with the Coaching Coordinator.
- Work with the League President and District to arrange a schedule for softball teams, including interleague games within the District and with neighboring Districts, if necessary.
- Assist the Softball Player Agent with try-outs and player selection.
- Facilitate special events – Opening Day ceremonies, Special Game tournaments, Softball Days with universities, etc.
- Provide the local Little League Board with updates on softball activities at each board meeting.
Softball Player Agent
This appointment allows for a separate Player Agent to oversee the league’s softball programs. A Softball Player Agent conducts the tryouts, oversees player selection, reviews player eligibility of the softball participants, and operates the softball player pool. Generally, this individual would be more familiar with the softball participants, talent level, and rules and regulations.