Almost every Little League program in the world needs to bring in new volunteers to their Board of Directors. At the end of your current season, it’s important to assess what volunteers you’ll need to fill the important positions within your league. From there, it’s equally important to make sure your league follows the appropriate election process.
These recommended procedures conform to Little League’s Sample Constitution. If followed, the credibility of your league’s election process, and the expected operation and management of your league are likely to be above reproach. These procedures also are printed in the Operating Policies section of the Little League® Official Regulations, Playing Rules, and Operating Policies.
The first phase of the election procedure process should be executed at least a month before the election.
- Establish a Nominating Committee, which should consist of at least three board members and any number of regular members. The Nominating Committee’s purpose is to ensure that there will be enough persons interested in being on the Board of Directors to fill all the possible positions. Its purpose is NOT to limit the potential number of nominees. It should also attempt to ensure that there are enough persons interested in individual positions as officers on the board.
- Proper written notice stating date, place and time shall be given to all regular members in good standing ten (10) days in advance of the date the election is to be held.
- All regular members must have paid their membership dues and have in their possession their membership I.D. Cards plus they must be active and be in good standing to be eligible to vote and/or become a nominee for election to the Board of Directors.
- Absentee ballots may be obtained IN PERSON from the Secretary. The ballots should have a number of blank lines equal to the maximum number of persons who could serve on the Board of Directors that year. The absentee voter then fills in the number of names desired IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE. The ballot should then be returned IN PERSON to the Secretary IN A SEALED ENVELOPE to be delivered to the Election Chairman at the meeting, still in the sealed envelope. (NOTE: Because Robert’s Rules of Order no longer recommends it, proxy voting is to be discouraged in local Little League elections.)
- When the election portion of the annual meeting takes place, the first order of business is to determine if a quorum is present. Quorum for many leagues is one-third of the total registered regular members, or a number of percentage acceptable to the local league regular membership at a meeting in advance of the annual meeting.
- Once quorum is established, it is proper to determine how many members are to be elected to the board. The local constitution establishes a number that should be elected but this number can be increased or decreased depending on need by a two-thirds majority of the membership present.
- After the number of Directors to be elected has been determined, the nominating committee will report and present the established required number of candidates who have been screened and have accepted to serve if elected.
- After the nominating committee’s report is accepted, the nominations shall be opened to the floor and any regular member may nominate another regular member as a candidate for election to the Board of Directors.
- After the membership present has completed their efforts to nominate additional members, the nomination procedure will be closed by affirmation of the membership.
- Every regular member will receive one ballot and will list names of eligible candidates in the number to be elected determined previously in the meeting.
- The appointed Election Chairman, the clerks and tellers will gather and count the ballots. The total number of ballots shall be no more than the number of members present, except if the league has a provision for absentee ballots and which have been properly obtained and returned to the Secretary of the league in a sealed envelope prior to the election.
- The persons in the number specified to be elected who have the highest number of votes by a majority vote (50 percent plus 1) shall become the new Board of Directors. The only exception is the number of managers and coaches elected to the board must be a minority. (Regulation I (b)).
- Following the election, the board shall meet as a body and elect the officers of the board from within the membership of the board.
- The Secretary of the board, as the first official responsibility, shall notify Little League International, the Regional Director and the District Administrator of the election and the identity of the officers so proper communications may commence with the new Board of Directors on or after October 1st, or whenever the fiscal cycle begins for the local league.