Electing the new Board of Directors for your local Little League® program is the first official act of your new Little League Season.
Remember, this is not when your League Officers are appointed, but rather how you identify the individuals who will be responsible for the overall operation of your league. Once the Board of Directors is approved, the Board can then identify the officers (League President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc.).
Here are some important things to keep in mind as you hold your meeting to elect your new Board of Directors.
- Determine if a quorum is present. The quorum is the minimum number of members needed to be present to make the proceedings official, and should be set in your constitution. If there is not a quorum, the meeting and election cannot be held.
- Appoint an Election Chairperson
- Secretary will present the list of current members in good standing that must be ratified. Those members may then elect new members for the coming year
- The members in good standing will determine the number of Board Members to be elected. The minimum number is outlined in your league’s constitution and cannot be less than seven.
- The Nomination Committee will then present the list of those interested to be on the Board (no individual runs for position)
- Nominations are then opened to the floor; any member in good standing is eligible for nomination
- Nominations are closed by affirmation of the membership
- Ballots are distributed to members in good standing to vote on the number of determined Board Members
- Nominees must receive at least 51 percent of the vote to be elected
- Ballots should be counted in the presence of all membership
- New board is announced
- Members vote to approve the results of the vote
Many of the items that take place during this process are clearly defined and outlined in each league’s constitution. Be sure to have a copy of your constitution at this meeting should any questions come up during the process.