When a league applies for its annual charter with Little League®, it pledges to abide by all the rules and regulations of Little League. However, under special circumstances, it may become necessary to apply for a temporary waiver of a rule or regulation.
It is very important to remember that a league must not take any action contrary to Little League rules and regulations until receiving expressed, written permission through the Charter Committee waiver system. A waiver request, while it may be supported by documents from the parent(s), may be submitted only through the proper chain of command. Waivers, if granted, are for the current season only. A league wishing to apply for a waiver of a rule or regulation must do so via the following method:
- The local league Board of Directors votes whether or not to request the waiver.
- If the local league Board of Directors votes to request the waiver, the President writes a letter, detailing the request. Supporting documents should be attached, and forwarded to the District Administrator.
- The District Administrator includes his/her written opinion, and forwards all documents to the Regional Director.
- The Regional Director will present the situation to the Charter Committee for action.
- The Charter Committee will inform the Regional Director of its decision, and the Regional Director will inform the District Administrator.