Little League Softball® was established in 1974 and today there are approximately 300,000 athletes in more than 25 countries participating in Little League Softball programs. Softball initially began with only two divisions, Little League® and Senior League, but now offers programs for girls ages 4 through 16. Every year, local Little Leagues register players who reside or attend school within their boundaries to create teams and play a regular season against neighboring communities. In June, leagues have the opportunity to select and enter all-star teams to compete in the Little League International Tournament.
Little League Softball currently operates six tournament divisions as part of the International Tournament where teams must play to advance through District, Section, State, Region, and World Series tournaments. Three divisions culminate at a Softball World Series where athletes will make lasting memories, create life-long friendships, compete against the best teams from nine US and International regions and one league will be crowned World Champions. In addition to each World Series championship televised on ESPN’s family of networks, more than 15 World Series and Regional softball games are broadcast annually.
Aside from teaching the sport of softball, Little League prides itself on strengthening player self-esteem, promoting teamwork and sportsmanship, and developing leaders.
- Programs for players 4-16
- Most leagues can charter AND insure teams through Little League for an average cost of about $6 per player
- Free access to Little League’s free online, resource for parents, coaches, umpires, and board members at Little League University – LittleLeagueU.org
- Clinics and seminars for managers, coaches, umpires, and league officials
- 125 free background checks
- Grants to help leagues start or enhance their existing Little League programs – LittleLeague.org/GrowtheGame
- Teenage division softball rules closely resemble the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS)
- Local leagues are reimbursed for travel to the State level and beyond by Little League at a rate of $1 per mile for one round trip to each tournament site
For more information contact Sara Thompson at email@example.com or call 570-326-1921.