Little League® International recommends that the local Little League appoint a Coaches Committee chaired by the Coaching Coordinator and including managers from each baseball division and the baseball vice presidents. A league may always add additional Board positions where it deems necessary.
Appointing Vice Presidents to oversee local league operations of each baseball division is an important task for any league. One of the primary goals of these position is to manage the operation of each respective baseball division and promote the program within the local community. The Vice Presidents act as a liaison between the league board and those involved in the baseball program.
Responsibilities of the Vice Presidents include:
- Coordinate baseball player, umpire, and volunteer recruitment and retention efforts in conjunction with the Marketing Manager.
- Organize and oversee education and training for managers, coaches, and umpires with the Coaching Coordinator.
- Work with the League President and District to arrange a schedule for baseball teams, including interleague games within the District and with neighboring Districts, if necessary.
- Assist the Player Agent with try-outs and player selection.
- Facilitate special events – Opening Day ceremonies, Special Game tournaments, etc.
- Provide the local Little League Board with updates on baseball activities at each board meeting.
This appointment allows for a separate Player Agent to oversee the league’s baseball age divisions. A Player Agent conducts the tryouts, oversees player selection and reviews player eligibility of the baseball participants. Generally, this individual would be more familiar with the baseball participants, talent level, and rules and regulations.