Child Protection Program
All local Little Leagues are required to conduct background checks on managers, coaches, board of directors members and any other persons, volunteers or hired workers, who provide regular service to the league and/or have repetitive access to, or contact with, players or teams. Individuals are also required to complete and submit a Little League Volunteer Application to their local league. Select from the links below to learn more about this vital aspect of Little League’s mission.
- Local League Background Check Information - The Local League must conduct the minimum requirement of checking the United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry, (www.nsopr.gov) Little League strongly encourages all leagues to utilize the LexisNexis national criminal records search available through the Little League website. And information on each state’s Sexual Offender Registry is available.
- LexisNexis Screening Solutions Background Check Tool - Local Leagues must conduct their own background check on the appropriate individuals annually. Criminal and Sex Offender Registry Search Tools are available to local Little Leagues from LexisNexis. Note: As a reminder, LexisNexis will reset your 125 free criminal background checks on Nov. 1st of each year.
- Training on Child Abuse Prevention - Little League volunteers interested in new programs focusing on child abuse prevention have options when it comes to training. The Oregon Virtual School District is an online program recommended by Little League Baseball and Softball.
The Oregon Virtual School District’s Child Abuse Prevention Training session takes approximately one hour to complete. The participant receives a certificate of completion when the course has been finished. Interested participants do not have to be affiliated with the Oregon School District to take advantage of this course offering.
As always, Little League will continue to pass along information we believe will help you understand important issues within your league.
- View State & Latest Information - See the most recent news about mandatory background checks and obtain information on each state's Sexual Offender Registry.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the new regulations.
- Download the new Little League Volunteer Application.
- Download a free Parents Guide that gives you advice on how to spot a child sex offender.