Child Protection Program
All local Little Leagues are required to conduct background checks on managers, coaches, board of directors members and any other persons, volunteers or hired workers, who provide regular service to the league and/or have repetitive access to, or contact with, players or teams. Individuals are also required to complete and submit a Little League Volunteer Application to their local league. Select from the links below to learn more about this vital aspect of Little League’s mission.
- Local League Background Check Information - Little League International requires its member leagues to search the Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry and conduct a national criminal background check for each volunteer with regular service to the league or repetitive access to children. The First Advantage National Criminal File database that contains 281 million records, including criminal and sex offender registry records covering 50 states and the District of Columbia, meets the current regulation requirement. Leagues are encouraged to use the First Advantage website, but may also use alternate resources. However the alternate resources must equal or exceed the services provided by First Advantage. Little League strongly encourages all leagues to utilize the First Advantage national criminal records search available through the Little League website. And information on each state’s Sexual Offender Registry is available.
- First Advantage Screening Solutions Background Check Tool - Local Leagues must conduct their own background check on the appropriate individuals annually. Criminal and Sex Offender Registry Search Tools are available to local Little Leagues from First Advantage. The First Advantage National Criminal File database contains more than 281 million records which include criminal records and sex offender registry records across 50 states and the District of Columbia. Click here to see a list of states covered. Note: As a reminder, First Advantage will reset your 125 free criminal background checks paid for by Little League International on Nov. 1st of each year. Note: Effective Nov. 1, 2013 the cost of additional background checks through First Advantage will cost $1.00 per check.
- Training on Child Abuse Prevention - Little League volunteers interested in new programs focusing on child abuse prevention have options when it comes to training. The Oregon Virtual School District is an online program recommended by Little League Baseball and Softball.
The Oregon Virtual School District’s Child Abuse Prevention Training session takes approximately one hour to complete. The participant receives a certificate of completion when the course has been finished. Interested participants do not have to be affiliated with the Oregon School District to take advantage of this course offering.
As always, Little League will continue to pass along information we believe will help you understand important issues within your league.
- View State & Latest Information - See the most recent news about mandatory background checks and obtain information on each state's Sexual Offender Registry.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the new regulations.
- Download the New Little League Volunteer Application.
- Download the Returning Little League Volunteer Application.
- Download a free Parents Guide that gives you advice on how to spot a child sex offender.