The way parents and family members behave at youth sports games and practices has a significant impact on the player experience. Parents can set an example for Little Leaguers® by displaying the high-level of sportsmanship that Little League expects of all its participants and respecting all players, coaches, umpires, and volunteers.
Consider developing a Parent Code of Conduct that you can distribute to the families in your league.
Take a proactive approach by talking about parent behavior at the beginning of the season. Ask parents to read and sign the code of conduct and encourage them to ask questions about their role. Have the code at your registrations, parents’ meeting, on your website, and available throughout your Little League season.
Below are some suggestions of items you can include in your local league Parents Code of Conduct. The A Safety Awareness Program (ASAP) also has a Sport Parent Code of Conduct that local leagues may utilize.
Parent Code of Conduct
As a <<INSERT LEAGUE NAME>> parent/family member, I WILL:
- Remember that children participate to have fun
- Be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship
- Teach my child to play by the rules and resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence
- Demand that my child treats coaches, officials, and other players with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability
- Teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning
- Praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard
- Promote the emotional and physical well being of athletes ahead of my personal desire to win
- Respect the officials and their authority during games
As a <<INSERT LEAGUE NAME>> parent/family member, I WILL NOT:
- Force my child to participate
- Engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent
- Boo, taunt, refuse to shake hands, or use profane language
- Encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of athletes
- Ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a game
- Use drugs, tobacco, or alcohol at any league event
- Coach my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am a coach.
I pledge to follow this code of conduct.
Parent/Guardian Name: ___________________________________________
Signature: ___________________________________ Date: ______________