Little League International continues to monitor resources and update these comprehensive guidelines to provide additional best practices guidance as information is further developed around COVID-19 mitigation. Below are specific updates made to the Best Practices.
Little League has also received a number of return-to-play plans from leagues. If your league is looking for an example of a plan, Little League International suggests reviewing these plans:
Updates to On-Field Guidance
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
- All managers/coaches, volunteers, umpires, etc., should wear PPE whenever applicable and possible, such as cloth face coverings and protective medical gloves.
- New: Players should not share towels, clothing, or other items that they may use to wipe their face or hands
Updates to Game Operations and Umpire Guidance
Umpires are permitted to be placed behind the pitcher’s mound/circle to call balls and strikes. Umpires are encouraged to keep a safe distance from players as much as possible and wear protective gloves.
Updates to Additional, Division-Specific Guidance
Little League Challenger Division® and Senior Challenger Division:
- Buddies should wear cloth face coverings whenever possible, protective gloves are also encouraged and frequently use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
New: Pre-/Post-Practice and Game Free Play
Unofficial pre- and post-practice or game activities should be discouraged. If they do occur, the activities should have constant adult supervision to assure appropriate social distancing and PPE guidelines are being followed.
Facility, Fan, and Administrative Guidance
Spread Out Scheduling of Practices and Games:
- New: Wait in cars before practice or game; limit the use of van pool or carpools.
- New: Allow time between practices and games for cleaning and disinfecting.
- New: Designate a league board representative to be responsible for COVID19 concerns (e.g. Safety Officer)