2023 Southeast Region Umpire Academy
October 10 @ 5:00 pm - October 15 @ 12:00 pm
The Umpire Academy is based on solid educational principles, lecture, demonstration and supervised application conducted by the experienced Southeast Region Volunteer Umpire Staff. Students will be provided with information and training to help them move their game to a higher level, which will include rule interpretations, proper mechanics, signaling, and positioning instruction.
Registration will be available soon. Please continue to check back.
Students are instructed in the two-umpire system on 60’ and 70’/90’ diamonds during sessions in the classroom, batting cages and at Little League® Southeast Park. Topics include, but not limited to, angle/distance theory, timing techniques, proper plate and base mechanics, strike zone development, handling situations, and proper communication. Plate mechanics are covered in daily sessions, which are recorded and available to each student after the School concludes. Students will also participate in simulated game exercises and live games between Little League® teams during the School. On-field activities, including live games, are recorded and reviewed by attendees. Classroom sessions include a comprehensive review of the Little League® Rule Book. In the end, each student will be provided the tools necessary for becoming an advanced-level umpire.
Beneficial for any umpire, regardless of skill level or experience. Open to all Little League® umpires. Event is open to only 24 students.
Benefits & Highlights
- Top-notch training and education for baseball and softball on both 60-foot and 70/90-foot diamonds
- Sessions rotating between on-field of Southeast Park, batting cages and classroom
- Participation in live Little League games
- Instructional Sessions and Live Games Recorded for Review
- Detailed training through multiple, unique methods
- One-on-one, recorded plate mechanics training
- Valuable lessons and tools to help you become a better and successful umpire
Included in Registration
- Five catered dinners (Tuesday-Saturday)
- Four catered lunches (Wednesday-Saturday)
- Umpire School Hat and Dri-Fit T-Shirt
- Access to recorded instructional sessions after the School
- Umpire Mechanics Manuals
- All Southeast Umpire Printed Materials
- Additional Items
- Class/Group Photo
- Completion Certificate
Below is a sample start and end times for each day of the Umpire Academy based on past years. This year’s schedule is subject to being different.
- Tuesday 5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Friday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
What To Bring
All Plate Gear (shin guards, chest protector, face mask, plate shoes, ball bag, indicator, plate brush) | Gray Umpire Slack(s) | Umpire Shirt(s) | Umpire Hat(s) | Black Belt(s) | Black Umpire Shoes | Ball Glove
We have umpire gear and equipment available for those without such for the event.
Below is a sample of the Umpire School agenda based on past years. The agenda for the upcoming School may differ but still offer most of the same sessions, training and education.
- Umpire Uniform and Equipment
- Two-Umpire System – 60-foot & 70/90-foot
- Little League® Rules 1-9
- Little League® Regulations
- Plate Mechanics Drills and Instruction
- Field Mechanics Drills and Instruction
- Live Games
- Plate Conferences
- Illegal Pitches
- Handling Situations
- Checking Equipment and Lineup Cards
- Video Review of Day’s Activities
To upgrade your umpire apparel and equipment, visit Gerry Davis Sports, an approved Little League licensee and the official Umpire Uniform Supplier of the Little League® World Series. Receive 10% off with code, LLTEN.