Answers to Dugout’s Trivia Contest
Here are the answers. How did you do?
1. In a Little League Baseball game, a runner is on first base, but the runner leaves the base during the pitcher's windup. The catcher, seeing the runner has made it to second base easily, does not even bother to try to throw the runner out. What's the call?
The correct answer is 2) "Runner goes back to first base." In this division, the runner cannot leave the base until the ball reaches the batter. If he or she does, in this case, they have to return to the base.
2. Who is the only person to play in the Little League World Series, the College Baseball World Series, and the Major League Baseball World Series?
The correct answer is 1) Ed Vosberg. He was the first baseman for Cactus Little League of Tucson, Ariz., in the 1973 Little League Baseball World Series final, after pitching a one-hitter against Birmingham, Michigan, in the semifinals. He earned a baseball scholarship to the University of Arizona, where he played on the NCAA national championship team in 1980. Ed eventually made it to the Major Leagues, and played for the Florida Marlins in the 1997 Major League World Series. You can find Ed's name in a year-by-year history of Little League.
Jason Varitek became the second player to accomplish the rare triple.
Little League World Series - 1984 Altamonte Springs, Florida
NCAA Runner-up - Georgia Tech
MLB World Series Champion - 2004 Boston Red Sox
3. Jamie is a Little League Softball player. One weekend at the ballpark, she is asked by the Maintenance Supervisor to ride along on the riding lawnmower as the fields are mowed. What should Jamie do?
The correct answer is 3) Tell the Maintenance Supervisor, "No thanks, that's dangerous." Kids should never ride along on mowers. There's lots of safety tips for adults and kids available in the newsletters.
4. What is the name of the stadium where the Little League Baseball World Series championship game is played?
The correct answer is 1) Howard J. Lamade Stadium. The final game of the Little League Baseball World Series has been played there every year since 1959. You can learn more about the Little League Baseball World Series.
5. In a Little League Baseball game, bases are loaded with no outs, and Adam hits a high pop fly. The pitcher, Kenny, barely has to move as the ball falls directly down to him. What should the umpire shout, before the ball makes it to Kenny's glove?
The correct answer is 3) "Infield fly, batter is out!" The Infield Fly Rule is in effect in this situation. If not, Kenny could simply drop the ball on purpose and possibly get an easy double play.
6. Who is the "Founder of Little League?"
The correct answer is 1) Carl Stotz. He started Little League in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in 1939. You can read more about Carl Stotz and the history of baseball.
7. After a game, Miranda and Samantha are getting ready to ride their bikes home like they always do (with helmets on, of course). Samantha says she needs to help the coach put equipment away first. Meanwhile, a coach offers to take both girls, and their bikes, home in the back of his pickup truck. What should Miranda do?
The correct answer is 2) Offer to help with the equipment, then insist that she and Samantha ride their bikes home together. Kids should always use the "buddy system." Nobody should ever ride in the back of a pickup truck, and kids should never, ever, ride with a stranger.
8. Which of these is the BEST reason for not sliding headfirst while stealing second base in a Little League (Majors Division) game of baseball or softball?
The correct answer is 2) It's dangerous, and you will be called out. In divisions of baseball and softball for 12-year-olds and below, sliding head-first is not allowed.
9. Who was the first Little League graduate to become President of the United States?
The correct answer is 3) George W. Bush. He played Little League as a boy in Midland, Texas, in the 1950s. You can learn about President Bush and many other former Little Leaguers.
10. What is the name of the town where the Little League Softball World Series is played every year?
The correct answer is 1) Portland, Oregon. You can learn more about all eight of Little League's World Series.