Little League® Mourns the Loss of Boston Marathon Bombing Victim and Little Leaguer, Martin Richard
“Like the rest of the world, I watched the tragic scene unfold in Boston on April 15 with great concern for all the families affected by this tragedy,” Stephen D. Keener, President and Chief Executive Officer of Little League® Baseball and Softball, said. “We are very sad that we have lost one of our own in Martin. Our prayers, thoughts and support go out to the Richard family and the entire Boston community as they continue to heal.”
Martin was a model Little Leaguer. Sporting the number 25, he played at Savin Hill Little League since he was five years old. This year, he was on the team roster for the Rangers, playing first base and pitching. His older brother, Henry, and younger sister, Jane, who was severely injured in the bombing, also play in Savin Hill Little League, where his parents, Bill and Denise, were often found helping out wherever needed.
Savin Hill Little League was first chartered just three years ago. Martin was a player on those first teams and will always be a large part of the league. The league’s opening ceremony and parade are scheduled for April 27 at McConnell Park in Dorchester, Mass. The league plans to honor Martin and all the victims of the bombing during its parade with the honor guard of the first responders, a moment of silence and the route lined with local fire departments, EMTs, police and other rescue workers. All the players and coaches will also be wearing ribbons in memory of Martin.
A private funeral service was held for Martin on April 23, and a public memorial is being planned.
“The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous,’’ Bill and Denise Richard said in a statement. “This has been the most difficult week of our lives, and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal.’’