Little Leagues Can Host MLB Pitch, Hit and Run Competitions
Local Little Leagues wishing to provide players with a skills assessment program are encouraged to host a Major League Baseball’s 2009 Pitch, Hit and Run competition.
The Major League Baseball Pitch, Hit and Run (PHR) is a free one-day skills competition for boys and girls ages 7-14 that emphasizes the fun element in baseball and allows children to showcase their pitching, hitting and running abilities.
Pitch, Hit and Run is the official skills competition of Major League Baseball and can be hosted by any local Little League. An administrative kit is provided.
Competitors have the opportunity to advance through four levels of competition: Locals, Sectionals and Team Championships held in all 30 Major League ballparks, and the National Finals at the 2009 Major League Baseball All-Star Game in St. Louis, Mo.
Children compete in four age groups: 7-8, 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14. July 17, 2009 is the competition’s age determination date.
To bring a MLB Pitch, Hit and Run competition to your Little League, community or neighborhood, log on to www.mlb.com/phr to submit an on-line registration with a date, time and competition location. The administrative kit includes a handbook, “Strike Zone” banner, registration forms, award ribbons, participation cards and more.
LEVELS OF COMPETITION
Local Competition - March 1 – Mid May
- All-Around, Pitching, Hitting and Running Champions advance from each age group.
Sectional Competition - Mid May-Early June
- Each Sectional is part of an MLB team’s geographic market.
- All-Around Champions in each age group are eligible to advance.
- The top scores among the Sectional All-Around Champions within each Major League Baseball geographic market will advance to the Team Championships.
MLB Team Championship - June (weekends)
- Held in all 30 Major League Ballparks.
- Participants must place first in their age group to be eligible to advance. The top scores in each age group out of all 30 MLB Team Championships will advance to the National Finals.
- National Finals - 2009 MLB All-Star Week
National Finalists receive an all-expense paid trip to St. Louis for the 2009 All-Star Game. Finalists will participate in an array of festivities upon arrival in St. Louis including a PHR Welcome Reception, MLB Brunch and All-Star FanFest. Finalists will compete on the field at Busch Stadium prior to shagging fly balls during the Home Run Derby and attending the All-Star Game.
At each level of competition, competitors will receive an item for their participation. Prizes at different levels of competition include ribbons, medals, trophies and other awards. National Finalists receive a trip to St. Louis for the 2009 Major League Baseball All-Star Game.