LexisNexis Increases Number of Free Background Checks Available to Local Little Leagues
Little League Baseball and Softball requires that all of its leagues perform background checks on all of its volunteers who provide regular service and/or have repetitive access to children. This season, the number of free background checks afforded to each league will increase by 56 percent.
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2009, the number of free background checks available to chartered local leagues and districts through ChoicePoint, newly-acquired by LexisNexis, has been increased from 80 to 125. To sign up and start doing background checks, go to http://littleleague.choicepoint.com.
Local Little Leagues have been required to conduct a nationwide background checks that include all the applicable government sex offender registry data since 2007. Statewide checks were required from 2003 to 2006. However, Little League International recommends that leagues go beyond the minimum in order to obtain information on other sex crimes and criminal charges that will not be found on the National Sex Offender Registry.
Keep in mind the number of background checks your league must be conducting on an annual basis. To be compliant with the Little League regulation, leagues must conduct checks on all coaches and managers, board members, and any other persons, volunteers or hired workers that provide regular service and/or have repetitive access to, or contact with players or teams. This includes, but is not limited, to extra practice coaches, umpires, team parents, grounds crew, scorekeepers and concession workers.
Information on Little League’s background check regulation is available in the 2009 A Safety Awareness Plan (ASAP) materials that are currently available the Little League website, at: http://www.littleleague.org/Learn_More/forms.htm.
Advantages to Little Leagues using LexisNexis include:
- The first 125 checks are free, paid for by Little League International.
- Use of the LexisNexis background checks program assures that Little League’s requirement of a national check is fulfilled. Background checks done through local municipalities, or state and/or local law enforcement agencies are almost always limited to state or regional records and do NOT fulfill Little League’s requirement.
- With the increase to 125 free checks through LexisNexis, most average-sized leagues should be able to perform all of their background checks for no cost.
- Additional checks beyond the first 125 will cost only $1 per check.
- The registration process at LexisNexis has been improved. It is no longer necessary to enter a credit card number until you exceed the first 125 checks.
- The LexisNexis criminal record data base includes more than 265 million records, including 11.5 million sex-related criminal records. The total number of records available through the national sex offender registry alone is only 665,000.
- LexisNexis searches do reveal convictions to crimes involving children that are not listed on sex offender registries. Such crimes include providing alcohol/drugs to minors, physical abuse, and endangerment and neglect. Other crimes that can be discovered by doing a LexisNexis search include assault, murder, fraud, embezzlement, DUI, theft, possession and sale of drugs.
- If you have not used your LexisNexis account recently, simply reset the password by going to http://littleleague.choicepoint.com. LexisNexis also has a 24-hour toll free technical support hotline (866-399-6647)..
- If you are unsure if your league has an account with LexisNexis, go to http://littleleague.choicepoint.com and type in your League ID number where prompted.