Pairings, Schedule Set for 2007 Little League Baseball World SeriesTicket info here!
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (June 12, 2007) – The schedule of games and pool assignments for the 61st Little League Baseball World Series were announced today by Stephen D. Keener, president and chief executive officer of Little League Baseball and Softball.
Williamsport has been the home of Little League since it was founded there in 1939, and the final game of the tournament is traditionally on the weekend before the Labor Day weekend. Labor Day in 2007 is Sept. 3.
The 2007 World Series will be the first operated under the new eight-year television contract agreement with ESPN/ABC. Five games, including the World Series championship, will be carried on ABC. This will be the second year that all of the World Series games will be aired in high definition. For the sixth year since the tournament expanded from eight to 16 teams in 2001, every team will have games on national television as ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 team up to bring Little League Baseball into millions of homes.
“The Little League World Series has had a presence on television since the 1950s, and beginning in 1963, every world championship game has been aired,” Mr. Keener said. “For decades, ABC and ESPN have recognized, and continue to appreciate, the special place the World Series holds in the hearts and minds of TV viewers. Each August, the Little League program is welcomed into homes around the world, and such hospitality has given Little League Baseball and Softball a grand stage for communicating its philosophy and purpose to millions worldwide.”
The world championship game of the Little League Baseball World Series (for 11-12-year-olds) can be seen live on ABC at 3:30 p.m., on Sunday, Aug. 26. ABC also will televise the International championship game on Saturday, Aug. 25 at 12:30 p.m., followed by the United States championship at 3:30 p.m.
All 32 games of the World Series are expected to be televised again this year. Fifteen World Series games will be televised on ESPN and 11 will be televised on ESPN2.
In addition, the ESPN family of networks will carry all eight of the U.S. Regional Championship finals in the Little League Baseball division. The U.S. regional finals have been televised by ESPN and ESPN2 every year since 1997.
Beginning with the 2007 Little League International Tournament, each of the divisions that culminate with a World Series will have their respective championship games televised on ESPN2. Televising the world championship games of the Big League Baseball World Series in Easley, S.C.; Senior League Baseball World Series in Bangor, Maine; and Junior League Baseball World Series in Taylor, Mich.; as well as the Big League Softball World Series in Kalamazoo, Mich.; Senior League Softball World Series in Lower Sussex, Del.; and Little League Softball semifinals and world championship game from Portland, Ore., brings the total number Little League games televised nationally this August to 49.
The other seven World Series dates are: Junior League Baseball (13-14-year-olds), Aug. 12-18; Senior League Baseball (14-16-year-olds), Aug. 12-18; Big League Baseball (16-18-year-olds), July 28-Aug. 4; Little League Softball (11-12-year-old girls), Aug. 9-15; Junior League Softball (13-14-year-old girls), Aug. 12-18; and Senior League Softball (14-16-year-old girls), Aug. 5-11; Big League Softball (16-18-year-old girls), Aug. 13-18.
In the Little League Baseball World Series, a modified Olympic pool play format will be used for the 16th year to determine the champion. Each team in the two U.S. and International Pools will play the other three teams once in the tournament’s first five days. At that point, single-elimination begins and pool-play records are disregarded.
The two most successful teams in each of the four pools cross over to play the second-place teams in the other pools on Wednesday and Thursday (Aug. 22-23) in the quarterfinal round. The winners of those games meet Saturday (Aug. 25) for the U.S. and International championships. The winners of Saturday’s semifinal games play for the World Championship on Sunday, Aug. 26.
Most of the games of the 2007 Little League Baseball World Series will be broadcast on radio station 1200 and 1400 WRAK-AM in Williamsport. WRAK is the flagship station for the English-speaking radio broadcasts of the Little League World Series.
Pool assignments and schedule for the 2007 Little League Baseball World Series follow.
Pool Assignments – 2007 Little League Baseball World Series
|United States Division||International Division|
|Pool A||Pool B||Pool C||Pool D|
|Great Lakes||Midwest||Transatlantic||Latin America|
2007 Little League Baseball World Series Schedule
(All times Eastern U.S.)
POOL PLAY ROUND
Friday – August 17, 2007
(1) Great Lakes vs. New England, 2 p.m., ESPN HD, (V)
(2) Caribbean vs. Japan, 4 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (L)
(3) Latin America vs. Asia-Pacific, 6 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (V)
(4) Southeast vs. Northwest, 8 p.m., ESPN HD (L)
Saturday – August 18, 2007
(5) Transatlantic vs. Canada, 11 a.m., ESPN HD, (L)
(6) Mexico vs. EMEA, 1 p.m., ESPN HD, (V)
(7) Mid-Atlantic vs. West, 3 p.m., ABC HD, (L)
(8) Midwest vs. Southwest, 6 p.m., ESPN HD, (V)
(9) Great Lakes vs. Southeast, 8 p.m. ESPN HD, (L)
Sunday – August 19, 2007
(10) West vs. Southwest, 12 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (V)
(11) New England vs. Northwest, 3:30 p.m. ABC HD, (L)
(12) EMEA vs. Asia-Pacific, 4 p.m., ESPN2 HD (V)
(13) Caribbean vs. Transatlantic, 7 p.m., ESPN 360 (V) (taped for Aug. 20 at noon on ESPN2 HD)
(14) Midwest vs. Mid-Atlantic, 8 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (L)
Monday – August 20, 2007
(15) Japan vs. Canada, 1 p.m., ESPN HD (L)
(16) Great Lakes vs. Northwest, 3 p.m., ESPN HD, (V)
(17) Latin America vs. EMEA, 4 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (L)
(18) Southeast vs. New England, 6 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (V)
(19) Asia-Pacific vs. Mexico, 8 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (L)
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
(20) Latin America vs. Mexico, 1 p.m., ESPN HD, (L)
(21) Japan vs. Transatlantic, 3 p.m., ESPN HD, (V)
(22) Southwest vs. Mid-Atlantic, 4 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (L)
(23) Caribbean vs. Canada, 6 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (V)
(24) West vs. Midwest, 8 p.m., ESPN2 HD, (L)
Pool Play Ends – Single Elimination Begins
SINGLE ELIMINATION ROUND
Wednesday - August, 22, 2007
(25) International – Semi-Final (first-place team from Pool D vs. second place team from Pool C), 3 p.m., ESPN HD, (L)
(26) United States – Semi-Final (first-place team from Pool B vs. second-place team from Pool A), 7:30 p.m., ESPN HD, (L)
Thursday – August 23, 2007
(27) International – Semi-Final (first-place team from Pool C vs. second-place team from Pool D), 3 p.m., ESPN HD, (L)
(28) United States – Semi-Final (first-place team from Pool A vs. second-place team from Pool B), 7:30 p.m., ESPN HD, (L)
Friday – August 24, 2007
Saturday – August 25, 2007
(29) International Championship, ABC HD, 12:30 p.m., (L)
(30) United States Championship, ABC HD, 3:30 p.m., (L)
Sunday – August 26, 2007
(31) Consolation Game: United States Runner Up vs. International Runner Up, noon, ESPN HD, (V)
(32) World Series Championship, 3:30 p.m., ABC HD, (L)
NOTE 1: (V) Little League Volunteer Stadium, (L) Howard J. Lamade Stadium
NOTE 2: EMEA refers to the Europe, Middle East and Africa Region champion (EMEA).
NOTE 3: Opening Ceremonies will be on Friday, Aug. 17, tentatively scheduled for noon
This schedule is subject to change. It was prepared for the Little League World Series Luncheon on June 12, 2007. For the latest updates, visit www.littleleague.org.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The 2007 Little League Baseball World Series Logo is available for downloading by media at: