> Little League Online > Media > Little League News Archive > 2006 > Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum Open House Recognizes National Little League Week
Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum Open House Recognizes National Little League Week
Dr. Richard Rosen
In June 1959, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the proclamation designating National Little League Week, as the week of Flag Day, which is June 14. Flag Day was formally established by President Harry S Truman to commemorate the date of the adoption of the Stars and Stripes as the official flag of the United States in 1777.
The open house will offer Little League fans a chance to get an inside look at the Little League experience. A guided tour and walking tours of the Little League Museum and the Little League International complex will include a trip through the Dr. Creighton J. Hale International Grove, home to the players during their time at the annual Little League Baseball World Series, and Howard J. Lamade and Volunteer Stadiums, game sites for the World Series.
Dugout, Little League’s official mascot, will be on hand and available for photographs.
The museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and admission is free for the open house. Tours of the museum will be held on the hour. Self-guided museum tours may be taken throughout the day. A guided tour of International Grove is scheduled for 11:15 a.m. and will begin at the museum. Self-guided walking tour maps of the complex also are available.
Wayne Petro from Catawissa, Pa., will present “A Field of Our Own,” at 12:15 in the Mary McGovern Theatre. Also at 12:15 p.m., “Salty” Ferguson, a former women’s professional baseball player, will be on hand to discuss her playing days in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
Pennsylvania Humanities Council Speaker Dr. Richard Rosen, a professor of history at Drexel University, will present, “Connie Mack and the Philadelphia Athletics,” at 2 p.m. in the McGovern Theatre. The presentation by Mr. Petro and Dr. Rosen are free to the public.
Little Leaguers from 1939 to 1948 and those playing in the championship series from 1947 through 1956 are invited as special guests. Oral histories will be collected from the players who wish to participate.
Monetary donations are welcome, and all proceeds will benefit exhibit improvements at the Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum, 525 Route 15 Highway, in South Williamsport.