Local League Background Check Information
NOTE: The First Advantage National Criminal File database contains more than 350 million records which include criminal records and sex offender registry records across 50 states and the District of Columbia. Please note, the Mississippi Sex Offender registry data is no longer included in the database. As a result of Mississippi sex offender registry records data no longer being included, the First Advantage National Criminal Record File no longer meets the Little League minimum requirements of the Little League Regulations. To meet the requirements, a separate Mississippi State Sex Offender registry search must be conducted. This can be done by accessing the state website http://state.sor.dps.ms.gov/. Click here to see a list of states covered.
Before You Begin
Before beginning the background process, which must be completed annually on all new and returning individuals prior to the individual assuming his/her duties for the current season you need to understand who needs to be checked and how the background check should be completed. It should be noted that all those individuals that meet the requirement of regulation I(c) 8 need to be checked and is not limited to just coaches. Note: The cost of additional background checks through First Advantage will cost $1.00 per check.
Some questions to ask before you begin:
- Are we doing all of the background checks that are required? It does not matter who was checked last year – background checks must be performed on an annual basis.
- How many managers/coaches do we have per team - 2 or 3?
- How many additional people are helping at practices as "practice coaches"?
- How many umpires are being checked?
- How many board members?
- How many parent(s) are assisting teams in various capacities?
- Do we have other positions in the league like equipment manager, field maintenance, scorekeeper, and/or announcer?
- Once you answer these questions you should come up with 5 to 6 people per team as an average number of people per league that require background checks.
Did You Know?
Did you know that a check of a local police department state agencies does not meet the minimum requirement since it is not a national check? Did you know that the social security number requirement is mandatory at the discretion of the league and mandatory to use First Advantage Screening Solutions?
We suggest you review the: Child Protections Q&A's
To begin conducting background checks, the league needs in its possession a fully completed official "Little League Volunteer Application" along with a copy of a government-issued photo ID, usually a driver's license, in order for the league to verify that the information on his/her volunteer application is correct, i.e. spelling of name, address, date of birth, etc. When using First Advantage for background checks, Social Security numbers are required. You must enter these numbers into the database and then you can then redact (black out or conceal) the social security number and/or other personal information from the paper copy for added protection.
Effective in 2007, the local league must conduct a nationwide search that contains the applicable government sex offender registry data. Little League International has contracted with First Advantage Screening Solutions to provide local leagues and districts with a special Internet site that allows members to search a criminal records database of more than 270 million criminal records - instantly. This site provides searches of available criminal records from various repository sources and state-level sex offender registries. The fee for the first 125 searches per chartered league and district is free to the local league and district as the cost for these searches is being provided by Little League International. Any additional searches above 125 will cost the league and district a minimal cost. Though Little League International requires members to search a minimum of the Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry, this special Internet site also includes the First Advantage National Criminal File database that contains more than 270 million records including criminal and sex offender registry records covering 50 states and the District of Columbia.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirement of checking the United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry, (www.nsopr.gov) Little League strongly encourages all leagues to also utilize the national criminal records search available through the Little League website. This additional criminal records check may provide additional important information regarding the criminal records of individuals whose crimes do not require that they be listed on a sex offender registry. For example, convictions for assault, battery, theft or drug offenses would not result in a report to sex offender registry. Details can be found at https://ca.fadv.com/CA/welcome.do?LLinternational. Just click on the "Data Matrix" section to review the records nationwide, broken down by state, which will be processed instantly when utilizing this internet based system any hour of the day.
Information on how to utilize this benefit, as well as how to conduct background checks, can be found on the Little League website at: Child Protection Page
The search conducted on First Advantage Screening Solutions at https://ca.fadv.com/CA/welcome.do?LLinternational limits the name-only search to 12 state sex offender registries while providing a far more thorough check that includes criminal records not found on an SOR, as well as utilizing the birth dates and Social Security Numbers entered which screens additional databases.
The following states have no DOB/YOB and would be considered name only: Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, Montana, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, Washington, & Wisconsin. To do this, please visit the individual state sites which are available through a link listed below and search for your candidate to retrieve more demographic information. This additional information will help you exclude records that do not belong to your candidate.
Be sure to view and download the flyer below with important information about background checks and the 125 free checks through First Advantage Screening Solutions:
Using the First Advantage Screening Solutions Background Check System
- Credit cards are now only being verified or "pinged" once during every batch instead of each search (Credit cards will only be necessary after 125 searches).
- First Advantage Screening Solutions and the official "Little League Volunteer Application" requires a social security number be used by the local league.
- First Advantage Screening Solutions provides a toll-free number for after hours as well as extended hours during the Little League prime season. Photo Identification is now available for record matches on Sex Offender Registry
Note: As a reminder, First Advantage will reset your 125 free criminal background checks on Nov. 1st of each year.
- It is no longer necessary to enter a credit card number until after the first 125 background checks are completed which are paid for by Little League International. However, we do recommend entering a credit card number during the initial registration process if you plan to do more than 125 searches which will eliminate a needless disruption to your search process when you reach 126 searches.
- The registration process has been streamlined with the e-mail submission and has eliminated the need to fax a second page registration form to First Advantage Screening Solutions.
- The new registration process allows users the ability to complete the form by e-mail using an "e-signature" through First Advantage Screening Solutions.
- Users will be able to change account information via email or by fax.
- A new "Frequently Asked Questions" section has been added to the First Advantage Screening Solutions website to assist local leagues in the registration process.
- First Advantage Screening Solutions is providing a new credentialing team specifically for non-profit organizations which includes Little League.
- District Administrators will receive 125 free checks as well as all chartered local leagues
- Users will have the ability to search the First Advantage Screening Solutions website using their Little League ID number to verify existing accounts.
After using First Advantage Screening Solutions Background Check System
- Note: A letter, which includes a copy of the completed background screening report & Summary of Rights, will be sent to every volunteer where a criminal record from the public records database is reported to your local Little League. A toll free number is listed on the letter if the volunteer decides to dispute the information reported.
- You will not have to enter a credit card until after the first 125 background checks which are paid for by Little League International.
Minimum Background Check WebsiteTo meet the minimum standard, you can access the free site of the U.S. Department of Justice at www.nsopr.gov
. But keep in mind that searches done on the Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Registry do not use a birth date or Social Security Number as one of its search criteria, so any person with the same first and last name who is on the 50 states' individual state sex offender registry will show up in your search. The search done on First Advantage Screening Solutions limits the name-only search to sex offender registries in 12 states, but two of those states Hawaii and Virginia First Advantage only has historical SOR data but also includes criminal records not found on a SOR, and utilizes the birth date and Social Security Number (when provided) to screen in additional databases. When positive results are returned in these states with name-only searches through the sex offender registry search, you are required to perform more research to determine whether the results belong to your candidate. To do this, utilize the photos provided on the name only sex offender records through First Advantage Screening Solutions and more demographic information available on the individual state sites that are available through a link from the Little League website below. This additional information will help you exclude records that do not belong to your candidate.
|First Advantage Screening Solutions||NATIONAL SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY|
More than 11.5 million sex related crimes and more than 270 million criminal records available such as drug, assault, robbery, theft, driving violations
Only 1.7 million Sex Offender Registry records available
Checks Available sex offender registries and criminal records using name and other identifiers such as date of birth, social security number (when provided),(10 states limit information to a name only search).
|Only Name search in all 50 states|
Free for the first 125 checks (paid by Little League International). Background checks beyond the first 125 will be a minimal cost. Annually, on November 1, the First Advantage background check counter will reset to 0.
Record of searches and results maintained on local league First Advantage Screening Solutions account
|No record of searches or results maintained|
Local League Background Checks by State no longer meet the minimum requirements, but state SOR sites may be used as a tool to verify data on duplicate name only searches, to exclude records that do not belong to your candidate.
*By clicking on the links below you will be leaving the Little League website. Little League International is not responsible for the content on these websites. We update and maintain the list below only for your convenience and ease of finding information.
Select your state from the list below:
Other U.S. Areas:
- American Samoa (*American Samoa does not maintain an online sex offender registry.)
- Northern Mariana Islands (*Northern Mariana Islands does not maintain an online sex offender registry.)
- Puerto Rico (*Puerto Rico does not maintain an online sex offender registry.)
- Virgin Islands (*The Virgin Islands does not maintain an online sex offender registry.)