Volume 5, No. 3 - April 2010
Phases of a Pitcher's Delivery
LittleLeagueCoach.org presents phases of a pitcher’s delivery as this month’s Coach’s tip. For more information, tips and practice plans visit LittleLeagueCoach.org today. The tip is available here: www.littleleaguecoach.org/home.aspx?article=719
Philosophy: There is much discussion concerning the development of the throwing arms of today’s youth. Pitch counts have been established in the Little League program to help alleviate this problem. The goal of our pitching drills section is to help coaches develop proper throwing mechanics and to improve arm strength.
- Start practice and pre-game sessions with a light run to get blood flowing
- Follow proper stretching procedures
- Arm conditioning via arm circles – good warm-up activity
- Practice – conduct more of the resistance training drills
- Pre-game – use specific drills designed to loosen up the arm/shoulder
- Begin any all throwing only after the arm is properly warm-up/stretched
- Use long toss with the thrower stepping behind the lead leg to keep the shoulders closed to develop arm strength
Get more great coaching tips and drills at LittleLeagueCoach.org.