Welcome to Little League® - Baseball, Softball and Challenger
Translate:

Partners & Offers

Active Ad All and Snuggle Ad BombPop Ad BBFactory Ad Chiquita Banana Dudley Easton Ad Eteamz Ad ilead177 Gatorade heinz-ad177 Honda Kelloggs Musco Ad New Era Oakley Russell Ad Sams Club SKLZ SBFactory Ad Spalding Subway
 > Little League Online > Learn More > World of Little League® > Pieces of Our Past > 2010 > Pieces of Our Past: January Week 4

Pieces of Our Past: January Week 4

Pieces of Our Past: January Week 4

Maine Attraction: Team Uniform from 1951 Maine State Champions, World Series Team Displayed in Little League Museum’s World Series Room

Maine Player Uniform

A Little League team from Maine has advanced to the Little League World Series three times.
The first time was in 1951 when a team from Suburban Portland Little League advanced to the playoffs at Original Field in Williamsport, Pa.

A two-piece uniform proudly bearing the Maine Little League symbol and Little League insignia on the front and the number “7” on its back is on display in the World Series Room of the Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum in South Williamsport, adjacent to the complex where the series is now played.

The ivory flannel uniform, trimmed in red and blue and sporting a blue belt, was donated in 1983 by Peter B. Lucey, who was a member of the team. Additionally, he donated three Little League pins: a blue World Series pin; a white Regional pin; and a green Little League pin to the museum.

The Maine team played a team from Austin, Texas, in the third game of the 1951 series. Texas had three runs going into the sixth inning, but the Maine team only generated one run so it did not advance in the playoffs.

The two other teams from Maine were from Augusta and Westbrook in 1971 and 2005, respectively.

The Museum is located at 525 Route 15 Highway, just south of Williamsport, and is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and by group appointment from Labor Day through Memorial Day. Its hours are extended during the summer season. The facility is accessible to the disabled.
Rates are $5 for adults; $3 for those 62 and older; $1.50 for children between the ages of 5 and 13. There is no fee for children 4 or younger. Group rates and tours are available. The Museum also offers birthday parties and after-hours facility rentals.

The Museum is closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s days.
For more information, call the museum at (570) 326-3607; or visit http://www.LittleLeague.org/Learn_More/museum.htm. Join us at Facebook.com/LittleLeagueMuseum or Twitter.com/llbmuseum.