Fall: Election Procedures
Usually, the best time to hold the election is the last week of September or early October. This is because the fiscal year for Little League Baseball, Incorporated, starts on October 1 of each year. Electing a board in the spring or summer is allowed, but results in a “lame duck” board being in control legally for an extended period of time, until the fiscal year starts.
Here is the sequence of events that should take place for a proper Election:
Prior to the Annual Meeting:
- Define your membership in your Constitution. Membership should be limited to those who qualify as volunteers not all parents or guardians of the players.
- The league Secretary will maintain the list of current Members in good standing.
- The nominating committee should begin its work of identifying those willing to serve on the Board in June. (Model Constitution, Article IX, Section 1.)
- The Secretary issues and collects all Absentee Ballots prior to the Annual Meeting.
At the Annual Meeting:
- Determine if a quorum is present. The quorum requirement is defined in the league Constitution.
- If a quorum is not present, the election cannot be held, another meeting must be scheduled. The number of Members present at this “second” meeting is deemed to meet the quorum requirement. (Robert’s Rules of Order.)
- Appoint an election Chairperson. (May or may not be the current president.)
- The Secretary presents the list of current Members in good standing. The Members in good standing may elect new Members for the coming year. (Model Constitution, Article V, Section 6.)
- The Members in good standing determine how many people will serve on the board of directors. The number must be at least the number listed in the constitution but cannot be less than seven. (Model Constitution, Article V, Section 6 b.)
- The nominating committee presents its list of those who are willing to serve. Nominations are not by position unless otherwise specified in the league Constitution.
- Nominations are opened to the floor. Any Member in good standing is eligible for nomination. (Robert’s Rules of Order.)
- Nominations are closed by vote of Membership.
- Every Regular Member in good standing receives one ballot.
- Voters list names of eligible candidates up to the number previously determined. *Exception: Absentee Ballots are voted according to preference and may list more than the pre-determined number.
- Nominees must receive at least 51 percent of the vote to be elected.
- New board is announced.
- Membership votes to approve the results of the election.
After the Annual Meeting:
- New board meets to elect officers from among its number. At a minimum, the officers are: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Player Agent, Safety Officer, and Coaching Coordinator. (Model Constitution, Article V, Section 6 d; Regulation I b.)
- Establish meeting dates for board.
- First official responsibilities: Notify the District Administrator, Regional Headquarters and Little League International, by mail or through the data center, of the results of the election. (Must include proper addresses and telephone numbers of Board Officers). If the league has a PO Box (recommended), supply headquarters with a physical address so packages can be shipped.
- At this time, the Board of Directors should also appoint a committee to conduct the background checks of board members and other volunteers and/or hired workers who provide regular services to the league and/or have repetitive access to, or contact with, players or teams. [Regulation I (b) and I (c) 8 and 9]
- Little League International recommends the board of directors appoint the local league President and two other individuals to handle the background checks. These individuals may be from the board or individuals outside the board. For instance, the board of directors may appoint individuals who have significant professional background in this area, such as law enforcement officers or individuals with a legal background.
A database of all of these Operations Tips can be found here: http://www.littleleague.org/leagueofficers/Tips_Successful_League/2010-2011.htm
Next article: Updating Officers with Little League International