Positive Coaching Alliance/Little League Leadership Pages: Mission Statement
Your league needs a compelling mission statement to inspire people and galvanize their energy in a way that can achieve your mission. People tend to forget about the "noble goals" of their organizations in the course of pursuing day-to-day responsibilities. A mission statement makes clear to all stakeholders in an organization what the organization is about in a concise, memorable way.
A strong mission statement offers these significant advantages to Little League leaders:
1. It helps leaders communicate to all the organization's members what the core values of the organization are. Organizations with strong commitments to their mission take every opportunity (newsletters, banners, presentations to coaches and parents, etc.) to remind members of the mission.
2. It helps organizations deal with difficult, ambiguous situations. When the solution to a problem is unclear, returning to the mission statement guides leaders in how to act.
3. It provides a starting point for conversations about the league’s values, which is key to assessing and modifying cultural values and behavior.
4. It helps hold an organization accountable to pursuing its ideal self.
Each league’s mission statement should explicitly state the goal of using sports to help athletes develop positive character traits and values that will aid success in the rest of their lives.
Sample Mission Statement
Anytown Little League aspires to be an outstanding educational-athletic organization that provides a high-quality experience, in which every athlete:
• Is coached using the principles of the Little League Double-Goal Coach
• Has fun playing the game
• Feels like an important part of the team regardless of performance
• Learns "life lessons" that have value beyond the playing field
• Learns the skills, tactics and strategies of the game and improves as a player.
We recognize coaches most directly make this possible, so we provide all coaches with the tools to succeed as Little League Double-Goal Coaches. We are committed to creating a culture in which coaches, parents, fans, umpires and athletes work together to achieve our mission.
This information is brought to you by Positive Coaching Alliance. To learn more, please visit www.positivecoach.org.