Treat your mother to a free visit
In addition to free
Deborah A. Kelly, a licensed massage therapist of 17 years and owner of Axis Massage Centre, Inc., will offer the chair
Since the inception of Little League®, women have held important roles within the program, including transporting children, working in the concession stand, umpiring, coaching, and serving in an administrative role of a local league or district.
The importance of women in Little League has been evident ever since Carl E. Stotz established the program in 1939, as his wife served as a member of the first local Board of Directors and organized the Ladies Auxiliary, which operated the concession stand. Mrs. Stotz also volunteered in various capacities during the program’s formative years and spent many hours assisting her husband and others, even serving as substitute team manager.
In 1947 Mr. and Mrs. Stotz organized the first tournament, which became known as the Little League National Tournament, the predecessor to what is now the Little League Baseball® World Series. According to “Play Ball: The Story of Little League Baseball” authored by Lance and Robin Van Auken, Mr. and Mrs. Stotz were treated as royalty as they traveled throughout North America presenting information about the Little League program.
Mrs. Stotz’s influence is visible throughout the museum, but especially in the Fifth Inning (gallery), where her volunteer efforts are extolled. She was the first woman holding an important role in the development of Little League.
In another first, Dr. Davie Jane Gilmour of Williamsport became the first woman to serve as Chairman of the Little League International Board of Directors in 2012. She was voted Chairman-Elect in 2008.
Dr. Gilmour also became the first female president of Penn College, a special mission affiliate of Penn State committed to applied technology education, in 1998. She joined the college in 1977 as an instructor and curriculum developer in the dental hygiene program and became its chief academic officer in 1996. She earned
The museum, which opened in 1982, underwent a $4.3 million renovation in 2012-13. It is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day. General admission