The World of Little League® Museum hosted its annual Kids’ Day on Saturday, November 19, at the World of Little League®: Peter J. McGovern Museum and Official Store in South Williamsport, Pa. Co-hosted by WVIA Public Media, Pittston, and partially funded by a grant administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, the event saw nearly 400 participants and included arts and crafts, games, interactive experiences, story time, and photo opportunities, as well as visits with Curious George and Little League’s lovable mascot, Dugout.
“Kids Day is one of the annual highlights we always look forward to,” said Lance Van Auken, Little League Vice President and World of Little League Museum Executive Director. “Having Curious George was fun for kids of all ages, and we have our friends at WVIA to thank for that.”
In addition to the interactive experiences within the Museum, visitors had the opportunity to enjoy Storytime with Debby the WVIA Clubhouse Mom.
“WVIA looks forward to Kids’ Day at The World of Little League Museum each year,” said Debby the Clubhouse Mom. “We are proud to partner with such a fine Community and Family Minded Organization that puts children first. We enjoy watching the children as they meet their favorite PBS character at Kids’ Day and plan to be a part of this event for years to come."
The Museum also offered a photo opportunity where visitors will had the chance to wear a jersey from the 2016 Little League Baseball® World Series and WVIA invited children to construct a sport bead necklace and will distribute PBS Kids Rulers and Bookmarks.
Along with Little League and WVIA, nearly a dozen youth service agencies and organizations supporting youth activities or their parents attended the event with information tables throughout the museum to provide fun things for the children to do.
Below are a list of additional organizations that attended the event (activities provided in parentheses):
• Williamsport Crosscutters (Plinko)
• Lycoming County Historical Society (Artifact Quiz, Ball and Cup Game, Fossil Rubbing)
• Mothers of Pre-Schoolers of Northway Presbyterian Church (Prize Wheel)
• Pennsylvania College of Technology’s Student American Dental Hygienist Association (Oral Hygiene Education)
• Penn State Extension, Lycoming 4-H (Motion Commotion, A Hands-on Display About Physics, Safe, and Distracted Driving)
• West Branch School (Pipe Cleaner Candy Canes)
• North Central Sight Services (Vision Screening)
• DeWald Chiropractic (Free Spinal Screening for Children, Coloring Pages)
• Kingdom Kidz (Hands-on Activity with Puppets)
• Children’s Development Center (Rice Bin, Candy Pick, Coloring Pages)
• Macaroni Kid (Hot Cocoa Mugs or Felt Gingerbread Ornaments)